Fancy adding a little spice to your steak? This is one of my favourite sauce recipes and it’s so easy to make.
I try to make this sauce at least once a year, making a couple of litres at a time. The key is to let it cook for at least 12 hours. Makes 3 cups.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of dark rum (I use Bundaberg Rum)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Peel and crush the garlic, set aside for 5 minutes. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat; add the diced onion and garlic and sauté. Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar and all dry ingredients. Stir and simmer for at least one hour, the longer the better!
Sterilise jars and lids. Add hot sauce to hot jars and cap immediately. Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator.